7 Ways to Find Motivation to Study After Work
- 29th January 2024
- Education and careers
If you find studying after work difficult, you are not alone!
In a 2022 study by Crucial Learning, nearly 68% of respondents found it difficult to focus at their 9-5 jobs, while 62% said that they find it difficult to focus on work at home. (Source: Crucial Learning)
Studying requires focus and concentration; and if this is a common issue among most people, then the root issue to address is an inability to focus.
Actor Dwayne Johnson once said:
“Don’t work 8 hours a day for someone else’s company then go home and not work on your own goals. You’re not tired, you’re uninspired.” (Source: EntrepreneursPost)
This blog provides you with easy steps to overcome your hurdles in studying after work, what you can do to find study motivation, how you can overcome common problems like lack of energy and mood swings, and how to do well in work and study at the same time. After reading this blog, you will have a better understanding of how to motivate yourself to study.
How to Motivate Yourself
Set Clear Goals and Rewards
Define specific study goals and break them into manageable tasks. Create a reward system to celebrate your achievements, whether it's completing a chapter or mastering a difficult concept. Knowing there's a reward waiting can significantly enhance your study motivation.
Create a Dedicated Study Space
Designate a specific area in your home for studying. This helps mentally separate work and study environments. A dedicated space signals your brain that it's time to focus, making it easier to transition from work mode to study mode.
Ensuring that your dedicated place is free of clutter and clean will be mentally pleasing. This helps you desire to stay in your designated study space, enabling you to get motivated to study after work.
Establish a consistent study routine
Build a study routine around your work schedule. Consistency is key to forming habits. Whether it's dedicating 30 minutes every evening or a longer session on weekends, having a predictable routine makes it easier to commit to regular study sessions. This consistency can help establish your energy levels and improve study motivation.
Leverage active learning techniques
Engage in active learning to keep your mind stimulated. Instead of passively reading, try techniques like summarising information in your own words, teaching concepts to an imaginary audience, or creating flashcards.
Active learning not only enhances understanding but also makes studying more enjoyable.
Prioritise self-care and energy management
Ensure you're physically and mentally prepared for studying after work.
Prioritise adequate sleep, stay hydrated, and incorporate short breaks between study sessions. Physical well-being directly impacts your ability to stay focused and motivated.
Psychologist Jordan Peterson mentions a high-fat and high calorie diet as a solution for those with anxiety issues. Peterson states that people with high IQ tend to suffer more from lack of focus and anxiety and this could be cured by having a heavy meal for breakfast instead of light meals or skipping foods. (Source: LinkedIn)
Use visualisation and affirmations
Visualise your academic success and affirm your capabilities. Create a mental image of achieving your study goals and reinforce it with positive affirmations. This powerful combination can shift your mindset and build confidence in your ability to succeed.
Seek support and accountability
Share your study goals with friends, family, or colleagues who can provide support and encouragement. Consider forming a study group or finding a study buddy. Accountability to others can be a strong motivator, pushing you to stay committed to your study routine.
How to Study When You are Not in the Mood
Did you know that the word ‘motivate’ is derived from the root word ‘motive’?
Motive is the reason or purpose behind an action, plan, or habit. Getting motivated to study after work boils down to finding your core motive:
- Why do you want to study after work?
- What do you want to accomplish in life?
- What is the reward of studying after work?
- What are your dreams and goals?
These questions can help you find that purpose that can boost your energy levels and help you concentrate 100% on your study after work (Source: Vocabulary.com).
How to Study Regularly
Studying regularly requires dedication and consistency. While it may not be possible in the first week of your study schedule, with repeated effort you can ensure that you are consistent with your study schedule.
- Start with short study sessions spanning about 15-20 minutes.
- Reward yourself for what you have studied in those 15-20 minutes every day for the first week.
- Write down what you have learned in this short period and spend another 10-15 minutes researching how what you have learnt is beneficial for life, work, and you.
- Do this every day for 1 week, and you may find that the inspiration to study longer and regularly, increases.
- Our brains are hardwired for pleasure, so just like we train our pets with positive reinforcements, treats and kisses, pamper your brain and train it to enjoy these study sessions every day.
How can I Focus 100% of My Attention on Studying?
Intense focus comes easily to some and rarely to others. If you find yourself stuck in the latter, a few minor life changes and exercises can change your story.
- Invest in noise-cancelling headphones, block out the world and sit in silence when you study.
- Use study lamps (preferably yellow light) to light up your desk and books. Yellow light has a calming effect on the nervous system and can help you relax and get motivated to study.
Why Do I have No Energy to Study After Work?
The reason most people feel burnt out after work is:
- They secretly detest their job: This is a major energy killer. If you love what you do for a living, you may have all the energy you need for other tasks like studying after work.
- They are overworked: Try to coordinate with your boss and create a friendly work schedule.
- They feel overwhelmed due to psychological stress: Try to drink a lot of water and take regular breaks to rest and do nothing at work. Breaks of 5 minutes each would suffice.
- They feel mentally pressured to perform: Attending counselling or therapy can help you regulate these emotions as you would finally find a trusted person to open up to.
- They are physically drained due to low nutrition and oxygen levels at work: Try to get some fresh air every 30 minutes, this can help boost your energy levels, ensuring that you have enough energy to study after work.
In conclusion, studying after work requires intentional effort and effective strategies to stay motivated.
By setting clear goals, establishing routines, leveraging active learning, prioritising self-care, and seeking support, you can transform after-work study sessions and motivate yourself into productive and fulfilling experiences. Implementing these strategies can make studying an enjoyable part of your daily routine.
The London School of Business and Finance, Singapore (LSBF) offers career-friendly courses meant to help working professionals. You can find a plethora of part-time degrees in Singapore and reputed online courses, professional courses along with on-campus courses tailor-made just for professionals.
LSBF has won many awards and accolades under various categories as an education provider and can be a great source for you in helping you get motivated to study after work.
The online forums, classes, mentorship, and network you may find in your course of choice at LSBF may end up helping you find the study motivation you are looking for.
Consider signing up today to learn more!
This article was written by Rebecca Paulraj and edited by Taylor Gardner.
How can I focus on my studies after work?
Focus on creating a conducive study environment, set clear goals, and break tasks into smaller, manageable chunks. Utilise techniques like the Pomodoro method for focused study intervals followed by short breaks.
How can I increase my motivation after work?
Increase motivation by setting meaningful goals, creating a study-friendly environment, and incorporating active learning methods. Visualise success, practise positive affirmations, and ensure proper self-care to boost overall motivation.
Throughout the programme, you will develop your understanding of global strategy, international marketing, sustainability and international entrepreneurship.
This MA programme will help you understand about international business strategy whilst developing your leadership, problem-solving and collaboration skills.
Focus on economics, business and business statistics in the postgraduate diploma to excel in your career or even progress onto an MBA programme.
Recommended Blogs for You
This article will help you understand the difference and highlight the benefits and career advantages you can obtain through a…
If you’re considering doing a master’s degree, it's important that you do your research to ensure you select the best…
Request More Information
Contact a programme advisor by calling
+65 6580 7700