Diploma of Sustainable Operations
The 10-day Diploma programme explores the fundamentals of climate science, energy systems, energy technologies, energy and climate economics, public policy, energy and carbon management tools, environmental management, life cycle analysis, strategic business management thinking and sustainability communication.
This includes an energy audit, sustainability reporting using the Global Reporting Initiative, greenhouse gas emissions inventory, the appraisal of various energy generation technologies, and finally, participation in an emissions trading scheme simulation.
- Duration: Full-time: 6 months (10-day intensive class + 5 months online study and post course report)
- Delivery Mode:
- Live Online
- On campus (please note our campus is currently closed due to Covid-19)
- Fees: SGD $7,490
The simulation exercises in this course are designed to complement the workshop material and contribute to fun and collaborative learning outcomes, as well as valuable skills that participants can really use in their own organisations once they have completed the course.
- Industry professionals: academics, architects, contractors, builders, cost planners, engineers,facilities managers, general managers, energy managers, interior designers, marketing managers, policy advisers, building materials manufacturers, project managers, quantity surveyors, consultants and lawyers.
- Aspiring professionals wishing to enter the sustainability industry who desire a quality and government accredited qualification.
- Recognised Qualification by the Australian Government (Australian Qualifications Framework)
- Advance in your career with Sustainability Operations
- Taught by world-leading and Australian Government Certified experts
This programme is delivered by industry experts and world-renowned researchers who have extensive experience in climate change policy, carbon and energy markets, waste management, business management, energy and water efficiency, forestry and agriculture, and corporate business sustainability.
Dr Adrian Ward
PhD climate finance, PG Cert Energy Economics & Energy Systems, BBM, Wentworth and CSIRO Scholar
Dr Scott Agnew
PhD, Mast. Energy Studies, BSc, BA, BJ,Cert IV Training & Assessment
- Mid-course quiz (1.5 hours, 15 questions, open book)
- Satisfactory completion of all group practical exercises (undertaken during course)
- Post-course online exam, 30 multi-choice/calculation questions, to be completed with 3 months of course completion (3 attempts allowed, 80% pass rate required)
- Post-course report, approx. 30 pages on the opportunities to reduce emissions/energy/water within the participants own organisation, to be completed within 6 months of course completion
Participants must attain 75% classroom attendance during the course, and complete the online study (includes online exam and post-course report).
This Diploma programme (selected modules) is accredited by Ministry of Manpower as a structured activity under the Continuing Professional Development scheme for Workplace Safety & Health Professionals with 43 SDUs.
(CPD-189/A1B/004, CPD-189/A1B/005, CPD-189/A1B/006, CPD-189/A1B/007, CPD-189/A1B/008)
- Participant must have at least 1 year of working experience in the private or public sector where sustainability is an important issue, or whom are interested to acquire knowledge pertaining to sustainability.
- Participant may enter the programme directly with existing qualifications such as Certificate IV in Sustainable Operations, Bachelor of Business, Master of Engineering, etc.
- Understanding and complying with government policy on climate change mitigation/adaptation; reporting in accordance to Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guidelines
- Implementing carbon and energy management strategies to reduce carbon footprint and costs
- Measuring and reducing water consumption within an organisation, and understanding how this impacts energy use and GHG emissions
- The advantages and disadvantages in commercially available and emerging low-carbon technologies, such as energy-efficient cooling systems, lighting technologies, waste treatment technologies and sustainable desalination technologies
- Using Value Stream Mapping (VSM) to optimise management processes, to reduce costs and increase environmental benefits
- Undertaking a financial assessment of different low-carbon energy generation and energy efficiency technologies using Net Present Value (NPV) and Discount Cash-flow Analysis as part of a broader capital budgeting process
- Understanding clean technology investment trends, and the risks of ‘stranded assets’ as well as participating in an award-winning ‘real-time’ emissions trading scheme
- Developing a business case on carbon and energy management (for management approval) as well as a stakeholder sustainability communication plan
- Planning and managing energy generation and energy efficiency projects as well as developing carbon offset projects
- Economic incentives and other financing opportunities for low-carbon technologies, including how to tap into USD350 billion in annual climate finance to fund your projects
1. Ten (10) days of face-to-face hands-on intensive delivery, consisting of:
- Daily seminars (group)
- Daily practical exercise (group and individual)
- Short mid-course quiz
- Expert panel & networking session; and Energy management site visits and case studies (group)
2. This is followed by self-directed learning, which requires a number of assessment items to be completed by the participant in their own time within the following 6 months. This assessment includes:
- Post-course report
- Post-course online exam
3. Participants will have access to up to 6 hours of face-to-face one on one training (either in person, or via video-link) and assessment time with a trainer when needed to assist those with difficulties with the assessment process.
4. Email access is also available to all participants to assist with the assessment process. All emails will be answered within 48 hours, but where possible they are replied to on the same day.
5. Participants will have access to ACSSTs online training website, which includes learning materials, online quizzes etc.
Request More Information
Contact a programme advisor by calling
+65 6580 7700