What can I do with a computer science degree?
- 24th September 2021
- Innovation and Technology
In today’s digitalised world, almost every industrial sector uses technology to conduct business.
This rising trend has transformed computer science technology into one of the fastest-growing employment fields across the globe.
Professionals with in-depth knowledge about computer science and the ability to design websites, manage databases and develop software are highly sought after by multinational employers.
If you have been wondering if a computer science degree is right for you, then keep reading this blog to find some answers regarding the employment growth prospects of computer science graduates.
What can computer science graduates do?
Computer science courses offered in Singapore can offer you valuable industry exposure that you can, in turn, leverage to build a network of contacts and develop commercial skills.
By the time you have completed the course, you will become eligible to appear for IT-related work placements, take up apprenticeship opportunities or apply for internships at reputed companies.
Is a computer science degree right for me?
The academic field of computer science is an appropriate choice for candidates who have an affinity with technology in general and believe that programming can be a fun and creative endeavour.
According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics [BLS], the computer science employment growth rate is faster than all occupations worldwide.
Therefore, graduates holding a computer science degree, seeking lucrative job positions can take advantage of this significantly expanding business sector, from a very early stage of their computer science career paths!
What are the top skills you can gain with a computer science degree?
Computer science degrees are known to offer their candidates a combination of theoretical and practical skill sets, as well as subject-specific qualities that can come in handy at different stages of your professional journey.
Let’s take a look at some of the more generic skills that you can hone by opting to study a computer science programme in Singapore:
- Programming languages - this emphasizes your capability of utilising reusable software to build cutting-edge industrial technologies.
- Critical, creative and logical thinking – this range of soft skills earned throughout the course curriculum can help you portray yourself as a dynamic problem solver, with a diverse personality.
- Communication skills – besides proficient technical skills, as a computer science graduate you are also expected to possess effective business communication skills to work as part of a team.
- Real-world problem-solving - the practical training offered as part of the programme structure will help you gain expertise in developing large scale software applications to resolve complex digital issues.
What are the advantages of earning a computer science degree?
Computer science degrees emphasize transforming their candidates to become substantially detail-oriented to think analytically and device systems and programmes.
Here are some of the benefits of having a computer science degree under the belt.
Computer science degrees are high in demand
Recruiters across the globe are always on a hunt for computer science graduates to be part of their workforce and troubleshoot problems for them.
Wide variety of career opportunities
Computer science programmes offered in Singapore prepare you for a diverse range of job profiles, allowing you to explore job options in almost every industry.
High paying careers
Being part of a growing industry means more jobs, enthralling occupations and some of the highest starting salaries.
Top 8 computer science careers for degree holders
As previously mentioned, computer science graduates can apply their knowledge and skills to practically any business sector.
We will here look into some of the most popular computer science jobs.
- Software Applications Developer (average annual salary: US$92,732, S$54,000) – These professionals execute quality assurance tasks, focusing on resolving issues faced by application end users.
- Computer Systems Analyst(average annual salary: US$92,941, S$54,600) - This versatile role holds individuals responsible for developing, analysing and improving idea systems, in line with the business process specifications.
- Systems Software Developer(average annual salary: US$1,38,141, S$75,000) – These experts spend their crucial hours developing software by implementing appropriate mathematics, programming and computational theory.
- Web Developer(average annual salary: US$70,867, S$42,000) - Besides building, maintaining and designing websites developmental experts focus primarily on the surface level functional elements and overall design of a website.
- Network Systems Administrator (average annual salary: US$74,159, S$48,900) - The duties of these professionals ranges from pushing out system-wide patches and updates, deploying new hardware systems and creating highly accessible user accounts.
- Database Administrator(average annual salary: US$83,701, S$64,800) - These professionals are primarily recruited for determining how to efficiently organise and securely store crucial data.
- IT Project Manager(average annual salary: US$1,04,176, S$82,055) – Individuals holding this position are proficient at analysing technical problems for their clients and recommending solutions to enhance productivity.
- Computer Hardware Engineer(average annual salary: US$1,39,015, S$54,000) - They design and develop hardware components of digital systems and test their efficacy regularly.
Frequently asked questions
Is computer science hard to major in?
Computer science degrees are competitive and majoring in computer science will feel easier for you if you're comfortable working with technology.
What is the experience needed to join a computer science career?
Graduating with a computer science degree makes you eligible to apply for entry-level computing positions.
Where can I get a computer science degree?
Singapore is a great study destination for majoring in computer science, as it is a hub for internationally renowned tech giants.
London School of Business and Finance, Singapore (LSBF SG) offers a unique undergraduate (B.Sc. Honours) programme in Computer Science that not only offers training to help students develop newer technologies but also acquire the skills required to identify potential improvements within current technologies.
Log onto our website now for more information and find a course that interests you.
This foundation diploma has been developed as an initial qualification for students who have completed their O-Level and/or high school education, and are aiming to embark on a career in the business & IT industry.
The Diploma in Information Technology (IT) provides students with the necessary theoretical knowledge and practical skills to meet career opportunities in the IT industry.
The Diploma in Data Analytics has been developed to provide a qualification for students who are seeking to work in the Business Analytics Industry or in occupations where Big Data management will be of utility.
The Higher Diploma in Computer Science aims to achieve an international standard of high-quality training which will lead to a universally recognised qualification, enabling graduates to pursue a career in computer science or enrol in undergraduate programmes at a university.
Recommended Blogs for You
When executed effectively, data-driven decision-making can have a tremendous impact on the long-term success of a business. Business intelligence and…
Big data has become a necessity for any modern industry to survive. As AI continues to infiltrate our everyday lives,…
Are you tired of your digital gadgets knowing things about you that you haven’t even shared with your friends and…
Request More Information
Contact a programme advisor by calling
+65 6580 7700